Ruth moved to Sydney! So our other high school friend, Regine, from New Zealand and I from Adelaide decided to fly in and spend a week in Sydney. Aside from Ruth, we also met up with a few other friends we knew from school back in the Philippines.

We rented a granny flat from Airbnb in Riverwood. Ruth will update this post (eventually) with pictures. While, I made a super general and loose itinerary which is mostly based on food and shopping.

Day 1

I flew in from Adelaide and I arrived around noon-ish. I took photos from the plane, because the sky was clear and you can see the rivers, mountains and outback quite visibly.

I met up with Ruth at Riverwood train station and we walked to our Airbnb. Then I was so hungry, I insisted that we go to the city to get food.

We had Grill’d burgers and I was half way through my burger when the waiter came by to ask if we were okay with our orders.

We went around Pitt Street mall a bit, but it was a Thursday night and surprisingly crowded. Then we met up with another high school friend, Joyce, and she drove us to the airport to pick up Regine, whose flight was delayed.

After we finally picked up Regine, we went back to the city and just went to whichever restaurant that’s still open. So we had Korean.

We wanted to get ice cream after, and decided to walk to Darling Harbor for Movenpick. Unfortunately, it already closed by the time we got there. But we just sat around the harbor and looked at the skyline and then called it a night.

Day 2

There was only 2 things on the itinerary- Fish Market and Bondi to Coogee Walk. Basically, stuff ourselves with fish and then walk it off.

Then we insisted to drop by Joyce’s place in Newtown, because we (Regine and I) are curious about how Sydney people lives.

After that we took a bus to Bondi, then we had some Ben and Jerry’s because we had a coupon.

And finally it’s time to walk. It’s actually more than what I expected. You get to see the lovely cotton candy sunset and pass by quite a few beaches, and take dramatic profile pics.

We were meeting another friend from elementary school for dinner at Coogee because she works at University of New South Wales. So eve if we wanted to give up half way through the walk, we needed to get to Coogee.

After dinner, we insisted to visit Cassie’s place in Waterloo.

Day 3

It’s Saturday and we had brunch twice. Once at Three Williams because they have a truffle menu and a second time at Paramount Coffee Project.

Then we strolled from Surry Hills all the way through Hyde Park to the Sydney Opera House. We sat outside the steps, while Ruth went to take pictures.

I didn’t take any new pictures, so here are two of Stitch’s butt from 5 months ago.

View this post on Instagram

#stitchtravels #travels #sydneyoperahouse #sydney

A post shared by my name is stitch (@stitchtravels) on

Then we went for gelato at Messina. I told you this was an eating trip.

After that we went to the Australian Heritage Hotel for some Kangaroo, Emu and Crocodile Pizza. To be honest, they sort of just taste normal. Crocodile tastes like chicken, while the Kangaroo is a little gamey.

Then we went to an Escape Room at the Rocks with Cassie and her other friends. We escaped with I think 15 minutes to spare.


Day 4

We were originally planning to go to Blue Mountains, but upon learning that it involves stairs and hiking… Well, we decided to have Filipino food, go to Featherdale Wildlife Park and Hillsong Church instead.

We started with an appetizer of Potato Corner fries in Blacktown, and then we went to a pop up food stall at a park that sold Filipino-style barbeque, lechon and Filipino desserts.

Then it’s time to go to the zoo and pat a koala and some kangaroos and wallabies. My life is now complete. The koalas are so fluffy.

Then we went to Hillsong Church.

After church, we went to get some Din Tai Fung. The Din Tia Fung in Sydney was disappointing though.


Day 5

Ruth has school activities at University of Sydney so we planned our day around that area.

We started with lunch at Glebe and strolling through the shops on Glebe Point Road. We also walked around her campus.

Then Regine and I went to Pitt Street for some shopping. When we were tired, we sat down for some chocolate at Max Brenner.

Then we met up with my friend Katie at Pancake on the Rocks. I am very happy to find out that it’s open 24/7 and the pancakes were very good and gone within minutes.


Day 6

Regine and I had brunch and too much coffee at Toby’s Estate while Ruth has school activities, which included a barbecue.

View this post on Instagram


A post shared by Michelle Chen (@itsmichellechen) on

Then we went to Newtown and explored the shops. We saw a lot of cute clothes that we are too stingy and poor to buy.

We met up with Ruth after her activities and went back to Pitt Street for some more shopping. Then we went to Bondi Junction for some ramen and our last dinner for this trip.

Day 6

I flew back to Adelaide very early in the morning.

Until next time, Sydney.

Please follow and like us: